This is not your average breakfast porridge but I promise you it’s packed with great nutrition and flavour. I think spices are the magical answer to food. There’s no reason not to explore adding different spices into your morning porridge!
What you’ll need:
- pearled barley
- manuka honey (or any other sweetener of your choice)
- powdered turmeric
- ginger powder
- unsweetened cinnamon powder or two cinnamon sticks
- sea salt
- coconut cream
- milk (regular or milk of your choice)
- toppings of your choice. Some suggestions: mixed nuts, trail mix, chia seeds, flax seeds, coconut flakes, goji berries, chopped dates, or bananas
Note: Depending on the milk you choose, it will impact the final flavour. Select a milk you’re familiar with.
How to make it:
- Rinse under cold water to remove any unwanted dust or dirt (unless you buy store bought packaged barley, which are usually clean).
- Add 2 cups of the clean pearled barley into boiling water and reduce the temperature to medium heat.
- Cook for about 30-45 minutes or until the barley is puffed and tender.
- Remove any excess water and add in ½ cup coconut cream and 1 ½ to 2 cups of your choice of milk.
- Add 1 tablespoon of manuka honey or of the sweetener of your choice, half a teaspoon of turmeric, ginger powder, cinnamon powder and a pinch of sea salt
- Stir the mixture and let it cook for another 5-10 minutes, until everything is mixed well together.
- Put on a plate and add on your desired toppings. I went with chia seeds, goji berries, and a trail mix.
An original recipe by me.