It is easier said than done, but controlling portions can be the answer you’ve been waiting for to take control of your weight.
1. Leave the childhood mindset of never leaving any food behind.
Be conscious about how you’re body is feeling, how full you actually are, and whether finishing off the rest of the plate is the right way to go. If the portion in front of you is just too much, consider sharing your food or taking it home to be enjoyed again later.
I am not promoting wasting food, I encourage you to be more mindful when you eat.
2. Slow is how it goes.
It takes your body up to 20 minutes to process and realize it is full, so the slower you eat the more time you give your body to register how much food you’ve consumed. Therefore, likely helping you prevent yourself from overeating.
Sometimes when you feel hungry, it may be due to lack of hydration, so before you devour your next meal make sure you’re properly hydrated.
4. Your hands are more than handy.
Use your hands to estimate the right portions for each meal. Simple rules to follow are:
- Your palm to determine the amount of protein.
- Double cupped hands to determine the amount of vegetables.
- Single cupped hand to determine the amount of starchy carbohydrates (like red rice or whole grain pasta).
- The size of your thumb for healthy fats (like avocadoes or almonds).
- Clenched fist to determine the amount of fruits.