Fad #1: Low-Carb diets are the best way to lose weight
Truth: Your body needs carbs! Carbs provide our bodies with glucose, which feeds our brains and our muscles; two things we want functioning at their best at all times. People lose weight on low carb diets because they’re elimination an entire food group, so no kidding you lose weight since you’re eating less overall! Also, carbs hold more water, so when you cut them out, you lose water weight, not weight from fat, which is what we want. As long you’re eating healthy carbs you will be a lean, mean, gluten-free pasta eating machine! Great healthy carb choices are quinoa, beans, sweet potato, rice, rice cakes, millet, gluten-free bread, quinoa pasta, soba noodles, veggies, squash, oats and fruit.
Fad #2: Gluten-Free or Organic = healthy
Truth: There are so many quick fix fad diets out there that it can be really confusing to know what’s “healthy” and what isn’t. Sometimes people fall in the trap of buying something gluten-free, low-fat or organic because they think it must be good for them. Well, sometimes it is, but if you think a slice of gluten-free pizza or a low-fat cookie is better for you than a non-organic apple, I’m here to tell you it isn’t! Stick to natural, whole foods as much as possible and you’ll feel amazing!
Fad #3: You can’t eat splurge and lose weight
Truth: I think a lot of people have an all-or-nothing approach to diet and fitness. You get really motivated, work-out every day, eat all your veggies and drink tons of water and then fall off the wagon and demolish every piece of junk food in your path like you’re Pac Man. Sound familiar? We’ve all been there. It’s important to indulge in your cravings so you can maintain your healthy lifestyle. I believe in the 80/20 rule. But when starting out, baby steps! Maybe 60/40 or 70/30 is better for you. Ideally aim to make 80% of your diet nutritious, healthy whole foods and the other 20% can be fun foods!
Fad #4: You have to count calories
Truth: While it’s a good starting point when beginning a weight loss regime to know how many calories you’re consuming, people can become too obsessive. Counting calories often leads to the idea that “low-calorie” is good for you. Not always the case! For example, a diet soft drink has zero calories, but isn’t as nutritious as a banana, which has about 120 calories. The best idea is to eat whole foods and listen to your body. Eat when you’re hungry and stop when you’re about 80% full. It takes time but once you eat more whole foods, you find your hunger keeps itself in check and you naturally eat enough to maintain the perfect body weight for you.
Fad #5: You have to workout everyday
Truth: Working out is amazing! But sometimes people push themselves too hard. While working as a trainer, I would have people come to 1-3 of my workout classes a day, nearly every day of the week. This is the idea that some is good, but more is better. Ideally, moving your body for an hour 4-5 days a week is enough to reap the physical and mental benefits of exercise. Make sure you give your body time to rest. That’s why I love the concept of GuavaPass! You really get to mix it up. I can do a spin class for cardio, a boot camp class for strength, a Pilates class for balance and stability and a yoga class to stretch and recover! It’s about giving your body a variety and rest when needed!
Bailey Brown is a team member and our in-house Registered Holistic Nutritionist, representing Canada down under at GuavaPass Melbourne office.